NineChime forum

Furry stuff, oekaki stuff, and other stuff.

You are not logged in.

Post a reply

Write your message and submit
Options
Humanity test

What is three + two?

Go back

Topic review (newest first)

Waccoon
11-12-2011 20:42:40

Unfortunately, this means your hosting service has blocked Java JAR files so they won't run.  Either that, or they set up the server to block all file types that are not explicitly registered.

In a nutshell, web servers use identifiers called MIME types.  When the sever sees a file ending in ".PNG", the MIME type is "image/png".  This lets the server know that the file is a PNG image.  Your server lacks a MIME type to identify JAR files, so it has no idea what kind of file it is.  For security reasons, any files that are unidentifiable will not work.

I'm 90% sure the only solution is to contact support and ask them to enable JAR files, and they probably won't do that on a free account.

However, it might be possible to register JAR files.  To do this, download this Apache config file and try uploading it to your oekaki folder.  It's likely your host has disabled .htaccess config files, too, but it's worth a try.  The .htaccess file will attempt to register a MIME type for JAR (as well as some other common MIME types).

If that doesn't work, or the server gives you a 500 Internal Server Error when you try to view your oekaki again, remove the .htaccess file.  If you have access to some kind of control panel when logging into your hosting account, see if there's a section on "MIME Types" or "file types".  If there is, I may be able to help you add the appropriate MIME types to get JAR files working.  We'll take things from there.

Kitoko
11-12-2011 18:54:30

I'm getting an error now with the PaintBBS java applet. I get an error that doesn't let in run.

I'm using Wax Poteto 5.8.6 (The board is telling me I'm using 5.8.5 - might want to be concerned about that!)

And it's a fresh install too.

Here's the java error details as told by the java runtime console:

Code:

Java Plug-in 1.6.0_26
Using JRE version 1.6.0_26-b03 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM
User home directory = C:\Documents and Settings\Kitoko
----------------------------------------------------
c:   clear console window
f:   finalize objects on finalization queue
g:   garbage collect
h:   display this help message
l:   dump classloader list
m:   print memory usage
o:   trigger logging
q:   hide console
r:   reload policy configuration
s:   dump system and deployment properties
t:   dump thread list
v:   dump thread stack
x:   clear classloader cache
0-5: set trace level to <n>
----------------------------------------------------

java.lang.ClassFormatError: Incompatible magic value 1008813135 in class file pbbs/PaintBBS
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin2.applet.Applet2ClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadClass0(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2ClassLoader.loadCode(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager.createApplet(Unknown Source)
    at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Exception: java.lang.ClassFormatError: Incompatible magic value 1008813135 in class file pbbs/PaintBBS

I don't know what the incompatible magic value is, but if it's related to human error, please let me know, so I can know it for later.

Edit: All 4 applets seem to get this incompatible magic value, so there might be a general problem, perhaps server related.

Board footer

Yep, still running PunBB
© Copyright 2002–2008 PunBB